Monday, April 16, 2012

Stops along the way

Just thinkin' ....


I remember when over-the-top excitement was getting a new box of 64 Crayola Crayons  -  or purchasing one Beatles LP, - or saving up the money to buy  two  (gasp - two!)  Nancy Drew books  (they sold for $1.50 each in those days)  -  or receiving a wool. jumper at Christmas that fit,  now, rather than one two sizes too big so  that I "could grow into it" - or even, best of all, wheedling my mother for the money to buy her a gift at Jamesway:  a set consisting of  royal blue eyeglass, cosmetic and cigarette cases. Never mind that she while she did wear glasses, she only wore powder and lipstick and she never smoked a cigarette in her life.    But I thought they were beautiful and I wanted her to have them.  Let me tell you, I was more than touched when I found those cheap blue cases among her things after she died.


I don't think that my own daughters knew any of these ardent but simple desires, and you know, I think they are the poorer for it.  


(J and C, let me know if I am mistaken!)

No comments:

Post a Comment